Update: Wake Forest Police Involved in Shooting

Late Friday evening a Wake Forest Police officer was involved in a shooting incident along Chamberwell Avenue.

The suspect has been identified as Alan Joseph Rushton, 1117 Chamberwell Ave., Wake Forest. Rushton, 38, was transported to WakeMed where he died from a gunshot wound he sustained during the incident.

At approximately 8:30 p.m. Wake Forest Police responded to a domestic disturbance at the Rushton residence. Upon their arrival, officers attempted to speak to Rushton, who fled to the second floor of the residence. Officers then attempted to make contact with Rushton on the second floor at which time he displayed a large kitchen knife. After multiple commands to drop the knife, Rushton barricaded himself inside an upstairs room.

Police established a perimeter around the residence and then called the Tactical Service Unit (TSU) to the scene along with crisis negotiators. For approximately two hours the negotiators repeatedly asked Rushton to surrender. After the subject repeatedly refused to surrender and continued making threats, TSU deployed resources and technology to safely take Rushton into custody. Rushton then charged officers with the kitchen knife at which time a TSU officer fired his weapon striking Rushton.

The officer who discharged his weapon was Dustin d’Hemecourt. Officer d’Hemecourt has been a member of the Wake Forest Police Department since February 2014. He is assigned to the Tactical Service Unit.

Friday evening marked the second time in two months Wake Forest Police responded to Rushton’s residence. On July 21 officers responded to a domestic disturbance in which Rushton had also barricaded himself inside the home and communicated threats. In that incident he exited the residence after several hours.

The department is following customary procedures concerning officer-involved shooting incidents, which include follow-up investigations by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the department’s Internal Affairs Unit.

Officer d’Hemecourt has been placed on paid administrative leave which is normal procedure for officer-involved shooting incidents.

“It is a tragedy any time our officers are forced to use deadly force against a citizen we are sworn to serve and protect,” said Wake Forest Police Chief Jeff Leonard. “We worked extremely hard to peacefully resolve the situation in an attempt to get Mr. Rushton the help he needed. Unfortunately, by his actions, he forced the response of our Tactical Service Unit. We extend our thoughts and prayers to Mr. Rushton’s family, as well as to Officer d’Hemecourt.”

The investigation into the incident is ongoing and additional information will be released as it becomes available.

For more information, click here.

Leave a Comment