This afternoon at 1:10 PM the mighty Rolesville Rural Fire Department was called to a mobile home with smoke billowing from it.
The occupants of the home were away when the smoke appeared but some very aware and kind neighbors sprang into action and called 9-1-1. Both Rolesville and Wake Forest fire departments responded. It looked like Wake Forest firefighters got to watch from their truck as Rolesville had it all wrapped up quickly.
The people who live in the home were so kind and you just hoped things would turn out well for them. They said their power had been out for two days, not from a billing problem, but from something wrong. A next door neighbor had run an extension cord to the mobile home to give them some access to power to stay warm.
At this point if you guessed the issue was space heaters or an overloaded circuit panel, you would be wrong. The heaters we not on and Avelino, the homeowner reported there was nothing plugged into the extension cord.
It turns out that the items below had been left on top of the electric stove and unexpectedly the power came back on to the stove.
The good news is there turned out to be no fire, just smoke. Whew.
Since there is no reason to waste a perfectly good incident, let’s see what we can learn from it. How about, don’t leave anything on the top of the stove when you are not there. That seems like a good thing to not do. But you know, I do know people who do that all the time. Maybe one day they’ll have their turn to meet the fire department as well.
Big hat tip to the Roseville Rural Fire Department for being so gracious and nice to the homeowners and everyone involved. They dealt with the hazard like pros and then tossed in exceptional customer service to boot. Rolesville residents are lucky to have the Rolesville Rural Fire Department there to protect them.