Fayetteville police fatally shoot man with knife found standing over woman

— A man was shot and killed by police Wednesday night after he lunged at officers while holding knife inside a Fayetteville home, according to Interim Police Chief Anthony Kelly.

Fayetteville police said that officers responded to a home in the 800 block of Bedrock Drive just before 10 p.m. in reference to an assault against a woman in the home.

During a press conference early Thursday morning, Kelly said officers received a 911 call from a child between the ages of 9 and 11 who lived in the home. The boy told police that his mother had been stabbed by her boyfriend.

“Listening to that 911 call, it is tragic,” Kelly said.

Kelly said that when officers arrived at the home, they received another 911 call from a subject inside the home saying a man had killed someone in the house. Officers then entered the house and found a man holding a knife, standing over a woman who was lying in a pool of blood, Kelly said.

The woman was later pronounced dead.

Officers gave commands for the man to drop his weapon but he did not comply. Officers then made an ineffective attempt to Tase the man before moving in to handcuff him, at which point the man lunged at officers with the knife in hand, Kelly said.

Shots were fired by an officer, fatally wounding the man, Kelly said.

The man and woman were not identified Thursday morning but Kelly said that once proper identifications are made, the process of releasing body camera footage from the scene will begin. Kelly said he has already reviewed the “graphic” footage collected from the cameras.

The State Bureau of Investigation is investigating the incident, as is standard with any officer-involved shooting. Kelly said five officers were on the scene but it was not immediately clear how many shots were fired or how many officers fired their weapon.

Kelly said there were two children living in the home where the incident occurred. Both jumped out a window and ran to a neighbors house, where they made the call to 911.

“The child jumped out a window probably about 5 to 6 feet off the ground and ran to a neighbors house to call 911,” Kelly said.

Both children were unharmed. Kelly did not know if the man and woman killed were the children’s parents.

A special thank you to our friends at WRAL for helping out with this post.