Around 10 AM on August 28, 2014 (a.k.a today) some unfortunate worker at the U-Haul facility under retrofit on Capital Blvd managed to cut one and release a foul odor.
The “one” that he cut was a pipe and the foul order was not the result of a poor eating choice but some noxious fluid that was now leaking out.
File this one under the category of “oops.”
What initially went out as a natural gas leak inside the old Burlington Mills factory that U-Haul is turning into local commerce, wound up to be awesome practice for Raleigh Fire Department HAZMAT folks.
Both workers involved in the cutting “one” incident complained of inhalation problems but only one took a very expensive ride to see the friendly healthcare professionals at Wake Med North on the most uncomfortable bed ever. I know from experience. (If you don’t know about the Wake EMS Fund for cheap ambulance rides, you need to.)
No other workers were found in the building after a careful search by our beloved Wake Forest firefighter professionals.
Wake Forest Battalion Chief Connelly contacted the Raleigh HAZMAT folks to get them out and moving and of course to determine the contents of leaking pipe.
HAZMAT crews entered, collected samples, skedaddled, and reported the substance as Formalin, a solution containing formaldehyde and methanol. That’s nearly the same stuff your Aunt Bertha was embalmed in or you almost once drank in college when your friend said, “taste this.”
Basically all the very important Wake Forest Fire Department equipment made it to the scene. This included Engine 1, Engine 2, Engine 3, Engine 5, and Ladder 1. No worries Engine 4, you are still loved.
Some other folks showed up as well including Raleigh HAZMAT 2 & 4, EMS Major Ops Support, EMS 33, 22, 6, EMS District Chief 3, and WC-1 the Wake County Fire Marshall.
While all the activity was going on at U-Haul it seems traffic on Capital Boulevard became snarled with rubber-neckers. In fact seven of them managed to run into each other. EMS was torn between staying at the building or doing the 300 foot response. Luckily nobody was injured so EMS got to stay put.