This great home at 217 N. Main St in Franklinton is on the market today and is listed for $250,000 by Brian Pate of Keller Williams Preferred Realty in Raleigh, North Carolina. Learn more about Brian here.
This amazing house located at 217 N. Main St., Franklinton, NC, was built by a prominent businessman in Franklinton around the turn-of-the-century. He is credited for building the cotton mill, the high school, and for starting much of the industry in town. After house construction was completed, the businessman decided not to live in the house but to sell it to his bookkeeper, Mr. Harris. The businessman then built the mansion beside the Methodist Church on Main Street, where he settled with his family. While the exact date of construction is unknown, the records show that the house was first sold in 1904. The house stayed in the Harris family for many years and is still known by many Franklinton residents as the “Harris” house.
The huge oak trees around the house were planted during the early part of the century during a town beautification project. We know there used to be a well located under the oak tree in the backyard which supplied water for the home. Most of the overhead and wall-mounted light fixtures are original to the home. The upstairs bedroom door was once a door in the school. Also, since the house once sat along the main route into Raleigh, the house had a sign out front, “room to let” during the early part of the century. Boarders stayed in the upstairs bedroom, which remained as unheated space until the present owners added central heat and air in 2002. The rest of the upstairs was used for storage. The upstairs bathroom was also added in 2002.
The first deed that we have shows that Dr. Harris sold his house on Main Street to Z.R. Rowe on May 25, 1905 for the sum of $900.
The second deed that we have shows that Z. R. Rowe sold his house to A. H. Vann on October 13, 1905, also for the sum of $900.
Mr. Vann made some changes to the house after he bought it. We are not sure what all was done but we do know that there must’ve been a fireplace in the wall between the living room and the dining room, like the one on the other side of the house, and he had it moved into the corner as it is now and sliding doors put in its place. The old brick footing is still under the house.
Mr. Van and his wife had four daughters. Sarah and Francis were born in this house. Beverly and Betty were born in the new brick mansion just north of the M. E. Church after they moved there in 1917.
The third deed that we have shows that E. A. and Mary Kearney Harris bought this house on January 2, 1918 from Mr. Vann for the sum of $3,500. They lived in this house until they died. Mr. Harris died on February 1, 1959 and Mrs. Harris died September 7, 1987. Mrs. Harris lived in the house for a total of 69 years.
The little room in the far right corner of the garage was not a utility room as you might think. This was for the toilet since no water or sewer was available in Franklinton until 1919 or 1920. This little room had the walls finished with tongue and groove lumber, had two holes and two windows.
The house had some of the very best material put into it. It had German siding that was either Cyprus or Juniper. The front door as well as the mirrors in the mantels in the living room and the dining room were of beveled glass the doorknobs as well as the fixtures were all brass. The floors in most all of the rooms were Birdseye Maple, something I don’t think you can even buy today. The large bowl shaped chandelier in the dining room was made with stained-glass and was always thought by the kids to be made by Tiffany.
Some streets may have had names before 1930 but no markers. Signs and markers along with numbers for the houses came with the beginning of village delivery. This house got to be 217 North Main St. Gray Rogers was the first delivery man. The first mailbox that was installed was all metal and was put up on the back side of one of the front porch columns. There was no way you could tell if there was any mail in it unless you raise the top and look inside.
Directions to the home:
North on US1/Capital Boulevard to Hwy 56 Exit in Franklinton.
Right on Hwy 56.
Turn left at traffic light onto N. Main Street through downtown Franklinton.
Home is on the left at the corner of North Main and Lee.
- Single Family Detached
- Site Built
- Located in beautiful downtown Franklinton
- No HOA
- 2,866 Heated/Finished Square Feet
- 3 Bedrooms
- 2 Bathrooms
- Downstairs office could be 4th bedroom
- Beautiful grand staircase in foyer
- Beautiful hardwood floors
- Updated Kitchen
- Historic detail throughout
- Front and back yard have beautiful gardens
- Carriage house outback could be a great workshop or extra storage
- School Assignments
- Click here for GIS Mapping Tool
This home will not last long!! Please contact us with further questions or to schedule a private showing.