Where Can I Find a Knowledgeable Attorney to Help Me With My Student Loan Debt?


Dear Steve,

I attended a for-profit college from 2005-2008. I graduated in 2008, but since then the school has been shut down. Now my private and federal loans are in excess of $400K total and my minimum monthly payments are over 3k. I was using an in-school deferment to keep current in hopes that I could one day afford the payments, but that has never happened and looks as though it never will. Now my deferment has run out and I am behind on payments and they are threatening litigation.

I make “some” money, but still not enough to afford these payments as the cost of living in Los Angeles is extraordinarily high. And I do not have any assets whatsoever and I rent a studio apartment.

I am having trouble finding a knowledgable lawyer in California that can assist me in attempting to file bankruptcy or any advice and options that I may have as to what I can do for relief. Thank you.



Dear Mike,

You might want to take a look at this list of attorneys.

I completely agree it is almost impossible to find a knowledgeable attorney who has experience in dealing with student loans. There are so much incorrect information and assumptions out there which are not supported by facts.

All I can advise is to contact one of the attorneys on the list and/or keep up your search for a knowledgeable lawyer.

Steve Rhode
Get Out of Debt GuyTwitter, G+, Facebook

If you have a credit or debt question you’d like to ask, just click here and ask away.

This article by Steve Rhode first appeared on Get Out of Debt Guy and was distributed by the Personal Finance Syndication Network.

The post Where Can I Find a Knowledgeable Attorney to Help Me With My Student Loan Debt? appeared first on Personal Finance Syndication Network.

Leave a Comment