The Wake Forest Fire Department will again host the community celebrated fish fry. But this year you won’t have a chance to sit at long tables and have long conversations with friends. The pandemic changed that.
But as all good firefighters do, the Wake Forest Fire Department has adapted to the pandemic situation and overcome it by making this year’s tasty fish fry a drive-thru event. Healthy, tasty, and yummy. Oh those hush puppies.
Mark your calendar for Friday, April 16 from 11 AM to 7 PM at fire station 1 – 420 Elm Avenue.
Dinners are $10 each and will include generous portions of fried flounder, boiled potatoes, coleslaw, and hush puppies. No beverages will be provided.
Online orders will be accepted through Thursday, April 15, at www.wakeforestnc.gov/fire/fish-fry. Only available while supplies last, orders may also be accepted on the day of the event. Please note: Due to a limited number of meals, ordering ahead is strongly encouraged.
Fish fry proceeds will benefit the Wake Forest Firefighters Foundation. Formed in 2020 following the merger of the WFFD and the Town of Wake Forest, the foundation endeavors to support the needs of WFFD firefighters and their families while also contributing to the community.
Local programs/initiatives supported by the foundation include:
- Camp Celebrate hosts and celebrates pediatric burn victim-survivors and their families. The camp is organized by the NC Jaycee Burn Center.
- Annual cookout for children at the Masonic Home for Children in Oxford, NC.
- Annual “Shop with a Firefighter” event at Christmas for less fortunate children.
- Hosting a child to attend camp at the YMCA.
- On-scene support and rehab by the Ladies Auxiliary
- Providing funds to members facing financial hardships.