I Forgot My Tax Number


Dear Steve,

Will like to know my tax number

I need my tax number.


Well, that sucks.

It is not clear exactly what kind of number you were issued. You may have a Social Security Number (SSN) that you use or if you don’t have an SSN then you might have applied for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).

If you misplaced your SSN, you can contact the Social Security Administration and inquire about recovering your SSN.

Alternatively, you could look at bank statements or wage statements to see if your SSN or ITIN was reported there. Also, ask your employer if they have a record of it.

When it comes to a lost ITIN, you can read these posts or call the IRS at 800-829-1040 to try to recover your ITIN. More information on ITINs from the IRS is here.


You are not alone. I’m here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don’t give up.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach