I’m a Disabled Veteran And I’d Like to Get Federal Student Loans Forgiven


Dear Steve,

I am a 100% T&P disabled veteran and eligible to discharge my federal loans if they were under my name.

My family’s federal student loans were consolidated under my wife’s name, partly because I was in a bad way, and I was unable to help with the process.

My wife and I live together, have been married for 29 years, and I pay for the loans with my VA income. Is it possible to get the loans forgiven under any federal forgiveness programs?



Dear Paul,

While it is possible for disabled veterans to get federal student loans forgiven the problem here is these are not your loans.

You describe a situation where your federal student loans were consolidated under a loan your wife is responsible for.

Something does not sound right here. I am unaware that you can consolidate federal student loans under a different person. However, you could consolidate a federal student loan in your name with a private student loan under someone else’s name.

Private student loans are not eligible for disability forgiveness.

If these were still federal student loans in your name and determined to be disabled by Veterans Affairs, the loans would have been automatically forgiven. “If you’re a veteran, you can qualify for a TPD discharge by providing documentation from VA that shows you have received a VA disability determination because you (1) have a service-connected disability that is 100% disabling or (2) are totally disabled based on an individual unemployability rating.” – Source

But if you think you are eligible or want to try for federal student loan forgiveness because you are disabled, visit this site.


You are not alone. I’m here to help. There is no need to suffer in silence. We can get through this. Tomorrow can be better than today. Don’t give up.

Damon Day - Pro Debt Coach