Update: Two Officers Involved in Shooting on Grandmark Street

town of wake forest news

Just before 9:30 p.m. Wednesday evening two Wake Forest Police officers were involved in a shooting incident along Grandmark Street in the vicinity of The Factory, 1839 S. Main St.

The suspect has been identified as David William Johnson, 2545 Spring Oaks Way, Raleigh. Johnson, 18, was transported to WakeMed where he died from gunshot wounds he sustained during the incident.

The officers who discharged their weapons are D. Cohen and D. Ragland. Officer Cohen has been a law enforcement officer for three years and a member of the Wake Forest Police Department since March 2015. Officer Ragland has been a law enforcement officer for five years and has been a member of the Wake Forest Police Department since February 2014. Both officers are assigned to the Patrol Division.

At approximately 8:30 p.m. the Raleigh Police Department requested assistance from Wake Forest Police in response to a call concerning a stolen firearm where the suspect allegedly discharged the weapon.

Initial information directed officers to 300 Stone Monument Dr. Officers arrived and encountered Johnson who immediately fled the scene in a vehicle. Witnesses on scene advised officers Johnson was armed with a gun.

The officers pursued Johnson who wrecked the vehicle along Grandmark Street. Preliminary investigations indicate Johnson exited the vehicle armed with a handgun in plain view. Officers Cohen and Ragland gave multiple verbal commands to Johnson to drop his weapon. Johnson failed to comply, and Officers Cohen and Ragland fired their weapons striking Johnson multiple times.

The department is following customary procedures concerning officer-involved shooting incidents, which include follow-up investigations by the N.C. State Bureau of Investigation and the department’s Internal Affairs Unit.

Officers Cohen and Ragland have been placed on paid administrative leave which is normal procedure for officer-involved shooting incidents.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing and additional information will be released as it becomes available.